The firm advises businesses small and large (including investor groups, foreign and domestic corporations, for-profit and not-for-profit companies, small business startups, small businesses and entrepreneurs). We counsel businesses during all stages of their lifecycles: from formation, to operation, to expansion via merger or acquisition, to dissolution. As a mentor to startups, we work with seed- and early-stage companies and startups, helping them refine business, financing and technology strategies to help enable rapid growth. We also advise startups in an advisory board member capacity. If you are launching a startup, consider our Fixed Fee Legal Startup Package for Entrepreneurs.
For entities of all sizes and in all realms, we handle the following as your New York business lawyer (also referred to as corporate lawyer or small business lawyer), among providing other services:
- Choosing the right structure of operation (e.g., limited liability company (LLC), corporation, DBA, partnership)
- Business formation and dissolution
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real estate matters, including leases
- Hiring employees and hiring independent contractors – Employment agreements, contractor agreements and termination/severance agreements
- Partnership agreements, joint venture agreements and strategic alliance agreements
- Negotiation and preparation of deal term sheets, LLC operating agreements and shareholder agreements
- Commercial leasing, financings and closings
- NDAs and confidentiality agreements (non-disclosure agreements or confidential business information agreements), non-competition and non-solicitation agreements
- Internet and technology related agreements and other agreements;
- Formation of tax-exempt not-for-profit companies (e.g. 501(c)(3));
- Contractual disputes (including collections and enforcement of obligations)
- U.S. asset purchase and/or investment (so foreign investors can avoid estate/gift tax, and minimize their income taxes)
- And more
For Corporations & General Counsels
Whether you’re a publicly traded corporation or privately held company, a for-profit or not-for-profit company, as New York corporate lawyers and New York business lawyers, our firm leverages broad experience in a number of areas such as technology and intellectual property, media and entertainment, real estate, and the internet. While with other firms, we helped architect deals for Seagram’s, Universal, Priceline, JP Morgan Chase, and Fox Broadcasting Company.
Our corporate clients include publicly traded corporations like Cisco Systems, Inc. and Cablevision’s subsidiary Rainbow Media Holdings’ networks – AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel, WEtv, Wedding Central and IFC Entertainment; along with a range of privately held companies.
For Entrepreneurs and Start-Ups
Whether you’re launching a start-up, growing or expanding your existing business, or forming a domestic or foreign business, you might not know where to start. You should consider speaking with a corporate lawyer in New York.
As experienced New York business attorneys, we can relate. We are entrepreneurs, too. We drill down to what’s important—so that you can form your business correctly from the start.
As New York corporate lawyers, we act as general counsel for many start-ups in media and entertainment, technology, and the internet —performing work in real estate, employment, licensing, and general business concerns.
As New York business lawyers, we help you navigate the complicated legal landscape—from the type of structure to choose (we verse you in the ABCs of DBAs, LLCs, LLPs, C- and S-corps) to how to bring new people on board—and how to let them go. We’ll prepare operating agreements and shareholder agreements. We can help you collect revenues and reduce not just liability—but also loss.
We encourage you to call us to discuss your matter with a New York business lawyer or attorney. There is no fee or obligation for an initial telephone consultation.